Monday, October 5, 2009

An Unusual Encounter

Lily and I went to the clinic today for a GI check-up to see if our GI doc could give us some insight into why her mic-key buttons keep coming out. Well, that appointment went pretty much as I thought it would. Dr. M didn't have a clue as to why the buttons are coming out. She speculated that maybe Lily swallowed something and we didn't know it....hmmmmhmmm...Ahhyeah right? She has just started eating Stage 2 baby food and cereal regularly. I highly doubt she swallowed something. Anyways, she couldn't explain it and basically brushed it off to a defect on the manufacturer's part. Pretty much what everyone has been saying. As I said in my recent posts thank God that Kimberly Clark is so willing to replace those buggers without charging.

Anyways, while we were at the clinic I went ahead and ordered ahead her Prilosec medicine because it is a compounded medicine and has to be made in advance and kept refrigerated. We usually have it shipped to our house but this time I decided to pick it up. While waiting outside the elevators to the M building, I was on my cell talking to Bill letting him know how our appointment with GI had went. When all of the sudden I look up and guess who is standing there next to me? The surgeon that did all of Liliana's heart surgeries. I was startled by his presence because this guy is not a very visible man. Believe me when I say that because the entire time we spent 3 1/2 months there we hardly ever saw the man and never in passing. Well, I immediately said, "Dr. Mavroudis, hello!" He greeted me with a friendly handshake and I followed with, "Look how good Lily is doing! He said, "Refresh, my memory. What did I do for her?" I said, "Complete AV Canal Defect with an extremely abnormal mitral valve. She had 3 surgeries in one hospital stay. He says, "Oh, yeah that's right she gave me quite a fit! God bless her! So glad she is doing so well!" I said, "Yes, yes she is!" The elevator stopped on the fourth floor at this point going right past the second floor that we were supposed to get off on due to my complete negligence. He said, "Getting off here?" I said, "No, no thank you. " Then we said good-bye and he left. It was so strange. I guess I was a bit taken back when he did not remember Lily and all the time that she had spent in the hospital. I know he is a busy man and has done literally 1,000's of surgeries but come on! You forgot about Liliana! I was totally brought back to November 4, 2008 the moment that I saw him. The memories and the fears all came back, but after he left there it was just me and my Lily. My perfect little angel. My MIRACLE baby and yes he did play a BIG part in why she is here today and I will never forget that. He might have forgotten but I will never forget. It is etched in my memory forever because if it wasn't for him and the work of our loving God she would not have had another chance. I am so grateful and I am so thankful! I am blessed!

5 comments:

My name is Sarah said...

This is Joyce. Hi Kim, Boy I've had a few of those chance encounters too over the years when docs who did truly heroic things for Sarah didn't really remember us as people and then I have also had the opposite. In the spring I had taken Sarah shopping and she was sitting in a chair in the store and I look over and this woman is blabbing away with her so I go over and she still just keeps on talking and brings up some medical history so then I was really racking my brain tryin to remember who she was. Finally several minutes later I realize this was Sarah's pediatrician for about three years. She must have thought I was lost in outer space - ha I was.

So glad that Lily is doing so well.

Heidi said...

Lily is a miracle and I am so glad that God provided the perfect doctor when she needed him!

Lacey said...

Hey Jax had three heart surgeries in one stay. We saw our surgeon in the PICU a while ago and he looked at me like he knew me and as soon as he saw Jax he remembered. How funny.

To Love Endlessly said...

That is crazy that he didn't remember you. Lily is absolutely a miracle baby. She's lucky to be in your family.

Jessica said...

Praise God that we live in a day when we have such advanced medical care!!!
Your little Lily is truly a miracle!