Friday, October 30, 2009

Too Good to Be True

Today I received a phone call from the case manager at Help Me Grow our EI through the county. She wanted to set up a time to come out and reevaluate Lily. She calls me almost every month to set up a meeting and sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. We are so busy every week with therapy 2 to 3 mornings a week that I hate adding one more thing to my plate. It has been really hard just trying to find a time to fit in our Intervention Specialist visits so many times they just come join in with one of our therapists.

Anyways, that said... I was very open and honest with our case manger today about the whole EI that we have received so far. I told her how I have felt lately like I am not receiving anything new from the IS than I already have received from our therapists. I told her when they attend a session with one of our therapists I feel like they are just riding the therapist coat tails. Maybe I was harsh but I felt like I needed to let her know so that she is aware of what is going on. Why waste my time or theirs? She agreed with me. In fact, she said that when they evaluated Lily back in August she felt like all they were doing was checking up on the therapists. She then told me she had something else she could offer me. What could you possibly have to offer me or better yet Lily?

There is a program specifically designed for toddlers 18 months and older that is funded through the state. Lily is going to be 17 months old November 6th. So since she is so close to being 18 months old she would qualify for this program. What it involves is that Lily would attend a center 2 days a week either Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, Friday from 10am-4pm. She would benefit from the activities they have there and the socialization piece of development that is so important. I don't know all the details about the program yet, because I haven't talked to anyone directly involved but I am very anxious to learn more.

We have an appointment next Friday, November 6th to meet the director and intake coordinator to see the center and what they do there. They told me that they would even come to our house and transport Lily to and from the center if we wanted them to. This is amazing! I had no idea that anything like this was out there and available to us. I'm hoping it is worth it. What do you think? Does anyone out there have their child involved in something like this? I guess we will find out next week. Until then wish us luck, say a few prayers, and we'll leave the rest in God's hands and everything will work out for the best.

3 comments:

Lacey said...

Thats all it takes sometimes is a little screaming to get the job done. Nice work mommy.

datri said...

Sounds like a great program! Kayla went into PreK early (at 2 1/2) because she got tired of working with the EI therapists and wouldn't do a thing for them!

Anonymous said...

I've read a few other blog posts about small group opportunities for 2 year olds. In my experience, this is fairly new. Most of the past 20 years has been an emphasis on 'natural environments'. I have a series of posts on EI, linked in my middle column.

This sounds like an opportunity you want to take. Can't hurt to try, eh? Barbara