Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Mic-key Button Mania

So, now that life has gone back to routine I will attempt to be more diligent with posting more frequently. On August 11th Lily got her first mic-key button placed. I was simply ecstatic! No more tube hanging out of her belly! WooHoo! Well, that was just the beginning of the mahem to come. Approximately 2 weeks later she pulled it right out of her belly. Frantic, I called the GI department at the Cleveland Clinic and asked them what I should do. Well, they told me not to go to the nearest ER because they do not know what to do when a child comes in with a mic-key button. GREAT! So what do I do! Long story short, they were able to accommodate us so we took Lily right in the GI department that day. They showed me how to put in a new button and all the other care that goes with it. Piece of cake, right? So I thought. Almost exactly a week to 9 days later we are out to dinner at Bob Evan's with Grandma and Grandpa and Lily is inconsolable! What gives? We are feeding her while all this is going on and playing pass the baby. Well, it wasn't working. Next thing you know Bill is holding the feeding tube, adapter, and mic-key button in this hand. You've got to be kidding me! Nope it had happened again. So we packed everything up and headed home for my first attempt at putting in a replacement. Thank goodness my in-laws brought us our food home later and they kept Gwynny with them which also made things easier. It was a success! I got the button in on the first attempt! Yeah! It doesn't end there. Exactly one week later we are having dinner at my brother's house trying to figure out which flowers and plants we would like to take home from my dad's funeral. While visiting Lily's button came out again. We didn't have a back-up with us and we were about an hour away from home so we had to lube up the bad one put it back in and tape it to her belly so that the opening wouldn't start to close up before we got home. Oh my gosh! What is going on with these buttons? Anyone that has dealt with buttons before probably has been in a similar situation. It is sooooo frustrating! I finally had had enough so this Monday I called both our dietician and I called the manufacturer Kimberly Clark to complain. The dietician was no help and basically told me to call the manufacturer as I had already planned to do so. After giving them my sob story over the phone the woman at Kimberly Clark was very sympathetic. In fact, she told me it wasn't my fault. WOW! Someone is feeling my pain. She told me they would be overnighting me 3 mic-key buttons free of charge. WoooHoooo! There is a happy ending to this story, well yes and no. Yes, because we got the replacements but there is still that chance that the button that is in her now will come out again in a week or less. Who knows? Supposedly each button is supposed to last about 2 to 3 months, not 1 week. It's insane I say. Crazy. Insurance only pays for 4 buttons a year so I am glad I have back-up. Well, cross your fingers and say a prayer that it was just faulty balloons in those buttons because I really do not want to have to keep going through this every week. Gotta run, but I will keep you posted.

5 comments:

Cathy said...

Wow! That sounds stressful. Hope this one works better!!!

Heidi said...

Oh my goodness - that sounds awful! I hope these new buttons work better!

my family said...

yikes! we never had a button but doesn't sound fun. I hope they work better for you I'll be praying for you and family. Havea great day!

Kelli said...

Yikes. I only had one kid in the hospital pull hers out and it was because she caught the tubing on the bedrail. I myself freaked but soon realized how easy it did go back in. Hope these new buttons work out.

Jennie said...

That stinks! Quick question... do you check the water level in the balloon? If you are checking it in between button changes, I recommend against it because it compromises the integrity of the balloon. And since Lily is still so small, you might want to put just 4ml's of water in there instead of 5ml's. Hope that helps.