Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Webster's Dictionary says...

Webster's Dictionary describes the word retarded like this:

sometimes offensive : slow or limited in intellectual or emotional development or academic progress

I just finished reading a bunch of blog posts about the dominant topic of the day, which if you are not aware, it is spreading the word to get people to stop using the "R" word. Is Webster's Dictionary trying to get on the bandwagon by saying "sometimes offensive" or what message are they trying to portray? It makes me wonder?

I saw a lot of really good posts out there and I don't know if I can adequately say anything different about this topic. As I was thinking about this today it does put things into perspective for me. Many times I know I have ignorantly used the "R" word prior to having Liliana. I think having a child with Ds just magnifies the use of this word even more and has truly opened my eyes to the damage that this word can do.

Before becoming a teacher I worked for an assisted living organization called Rescare on the east side of Cleveland. I worked with many different individuals with many different diagnoses. I remember taking them out in the community and proudly going into stores and restaurants not even caring about what other people might say or what strange looks I might get. I also have a cousin that passed away several years ago who had Cerebral Palsy. He was such a great guy and was always a part of all the family events we had. We never thought of him as being any different than anyone else. So, one would think that I would literally cringe when I would slip up and use that word prior to having Liliana, but I didn't. This makes me sad.

I know that the bible clearly tells us what we should and should not say. Ephesians 4:29 says, “Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers." With that said I know that I now will strive to stop using that word and will pass that same message along to others so that they too can make a change. God never intended for us to use that word to describe our children. Ds children are loving, caring, kind, smart, inquisitive, athletic, compassionate, intellectual, fantastic individuals that deserve to be treated with the same respect as others. What does this mean? It means one thing and that is we need to give up the use of the "R" word because God doesn't make junk! Have a wonderful day!!!

3 comments:

Wendy P said...

Great post! Amen!

Cathy said...

Great job Kim! Wish I would have thought to include some scripture in mine!!!!

To Love Endlessly said...

Amen to that! I felt myself cringe several times while scanning the net reading other people's thoughts on the use of the "r" word and remembering times that I chose to use it. I was literally in tears this afternoon recalling my ignorance, praying that in the future I will have more compassion and respect for everyone.