Today we spent approximately 2 and a half hours straight with our Intervention Specialist, OT, and PT. It just so happened that today was the only day they could come to our house. Wow! I don't know if we will do that again. Lily was fine about the first hour and then she started to get crabby. She was not being as receptive and clearly wanted to take a nap. By the time I got her feed hooked up and she was settled in her bouncy seat she fell asleep. Unfortunately, she only had about a 10 minute cat nap before PT showed up and she had to work some more. Everyone did comment on how awesome Lily is doing. She can turn over from her back to her tummy and pick her head up like a champ. She is very close to rolling from her tummy to her back. She just gets a little stuck and tends to throw her arms out to the side instead of underneath her. PT seems to think that she will be mastering this skill in no time flat. OT worked on her eating issues. She gave me exercises to do with her mouth to help strengthen those muscles. Lily really enjoyed chomping down on the OT's finger. We also are using a sippie cup I found here with her using her formula mixed with nectar thick "simply thick". She still has a ways to go with that but she is making slow progress. Overall, Lily is starting to wake up and come around. She is taking a well-deserved nap now as I write this.
Yesterday we had speech therapy and she brought Lily a teether that vibrates. Sooo cool! Lily's face was priceless when I put that thing to her mouth. It was like "OOOOO what is this?" She loves it! We will keep using that to also stimulate her mouth.
Therapy days are as tiring for me as they are for Lily. I feel like Gwynny does nothing but interfere with what is going on. She constantly has to be the center of attention. She will take toys away from the therapists and get right in their faces and Lily's sometimes talking to them and trying to get their attention. Thank goodness, they all tell me how much they like Gwynny and that it doesn't bother them. My thing is that it may not bother them, or maybe they are just being polite, but Gwyneth needs to learn to have some manners. I know she is 3 1/2 and some may say it's just the age but she is the main thing that wears me out on therapy days. I have tried getting her to go in her room with a treat and watch a movie but she won't stay in there. I have tried giving her other rewards but nothing seems to work. She just has her own agenda. I feel sometimes like I spend the majority of the time taking care of discipline problems instead of learning about whatever it is the therapist wants Lily to work on. Well, it won't be much longer and Liliana will be able to go to outpatient therapy and maybe I can have Gwynny stay with a sitter.
We're supposed to finally get some REALLY nice weather starting Thursday. I can't wait! We need to get out some more and enjoy the outdoors. I also feel like Gwynny needs to get involved in something. She needs to be around other children her age and have that social interaction. We went to the playground last Thursday and she had a great time playing with the other children that were there. She also enjoyed going to the library last week and playing with other kids. Well, I better run! More later!
6 comments:
Hi Kim, This is Joyce. I smile reading about Gwynny. While we were going through old videos for the Easter memory posts last week we watched lots of footage of Sarah and TJ when Sarah's therapists were around and he did the same thing at that age. John and I both commented on it. So while he was home for the weekend, we played some for him without telling him why and at one point he said,"Wow, was I obnoxious or what" We all burst out laughing.
I think it is so hard at that age to recognize that the therapist is there to help your sister. The sibs just see it as the other getting more attention than they are. Hang in there. Soon she will have a better handle on it and it will become a boring everyday part of life.
So glad to hear that Lily is doing so good.
Hi Kim, I just started following your blog and have enjoyed reading a bit about you!
Your post today really reminds me of my situation. Whenever we have therapy sessions at home Caleb (my older son) has to be the center of attention. I find it so hard. I am trying to listen to the therapist, help Joel (my younger son with down syndrome) and discipline Caleb. It's too much! Luckily Caleb will usually watch some TV for part of the time.
Thanks for sharing a bit about you. I'm looking forward to reading more!
The therapy news is such great news! Aren't you excited about the weather?! I am!
Thanks Joyce for words of confidence! Maybe I will video tape Gwynny and play it back for her when she's like 16. LOL!
Busy, busy day! I know how you feel about Gwynny. Luckily Brooke still takes good naps so everything gets planned during her nap time.
Glad to hear she is doing well.
This reminds me of when I would do therapy for kids before I had Marissa. Your therapists are being completely honest that they don't mind Gwynny nosing around. I always enjoyed it when the brothers or sisters hung around. They really help their siblings to learn some valuable skills.
Also from my experience, eventually the novelty will wear off and she'll be more likely to hang around and watch a movie. Right now, all those people coming to visit are fun and exciting, before too long they just start to blend in with the family. :-)
I'm so happy she is rolling over. Marissa just started rolling from her back to tummy. Lily is going to have so much fun rolling ALL over the floor once she realizes she can go back and forth, and back and forth...haha
Post a Comment