Saturday, August 15, 2009

The frosting on the cake with a cherry on top!

Hello Blogging World! Sorry I have been gone for awhile but part of the reason is that our cable modem decided to catch on fire last week and so we had no Internet service for several days. Don't worry, nothing bad became of it such as the place burning down, we just didn't have any Internet for awhile. Well, now we are back up and running and I have so much to catch people up on.

Let's see...let me go back to Friday the 7th at Mc'Donalds. The kids party went well. Kids had a good time, food was good, and cake was actually really good for Mc'ODonalds as Gwynny calls it. We also got an added bonus of a discount on the party since they didn't have enough curly straws for all the kids and one of the children was a bit upset about it. We asked the hostess if she had any more but to our dismay she did not. We asked her to talk to her manager and that led to the manager coming in and asking us if he could help us. Too funny! After we told him about the lack of curly straws he offered to give us a discount on the party! WooHoo! Every little bit helps these days!


Friday the 7th was bittersweet. It was Gwynny's birthday and she turned 4! Can't believe it! The party was great and everyone had a good time but the crumby thing that happened earlier that day was that my uncle passed away. He was supposed to come with my aunt and cousin to Gwynny's family party on Saturday. It was so sad just thinking that they wouldn't be able to make it to the party on Saturday. He was such a caring and loving man. He and my aunt, also my cousin have given my kids so much over the years and they were a HUGE help when Lily was in the hospital. I soooo much appreciate all that he did for us! He was a great man, full of compassion and he definitely will be missed. Uncle Steve you will be missed!

Saturday was the family party which was a bit smaller but Gwynny still had a great time! My brother, his wife and two kids came over and we had Tacos, one of Gwynny's favorites! I ordered her a Princess ice cream cake from Dairy Queen and she was crazy about it! She is completely into the Disney princesses so I hope we get to go to Disney World this winter as we are planning.

Last week was hectic as usual. Liliana finally, yes finally got her g-tube changed over to a button on Tuesday the 11th! What a difference! So much easier. No more taping the ends, very little leaking! I am a happy camper! The only thing they wouldn't take off was the granulation tissue that has grown around the hole. Dr. says she couldn't do it at that time due to possible infection. So we will have to wait to have that removed at her next appointment on the 28th. Overall, it went very smoothly and Lily came out of it much better than previous times. Hallelujah!

OT and PT for Lily are about the same. Still struggling with getting Lily to eat by mouth. It seems like the minute I miss feeding her by mouth she just goes right back to square one and forgets everything that we worked on. Her head seems to be getting stronger and she can sit up with minimal support but not on her own yet. We continue to work on this skill. She also hates to be on her stomach. I am hoping that now that she has the button that she will be more willing to lay on her tummy. Every time the PT puts her on her stomach she just has a fit! Oh well, we will continue to try. She is up for a review of her IFSP but there really isn't much to change on it. I hate those things anyways because Lily is Lily and she will master these skills when she is ready and willing to. That meeting is scheduled for the 31st.

On another note, my dad is starting to show signs of improvement. He was finally taken off the ventilator today and has been breathing on his own fine since earlier today. He will continue to stay in the ICU until they feel that he is more than ready to move on. He still has to have a swallow study done to find out why he aspirated which led to the pneumonia. Not sure where all this will lead us but worst case scenario he may have to have a g-tube like Lily for feeding if his Parkinson's disease has progressed to the point that he is unable to swallow his food correctly anymore. I really think though that he may just need some modifications for eating and he may be ok. He continues to be in my prayers and is on the prayer list at my church. He is a fighter and I feel like the Lord has already done a work in his life.

Summer seems to be flying by so quickly. We have spent many days at the pool and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think Gwynny and I will cry on September 7th the last day it will be open because we both love going there so much. Well, with the pool soon closing it just brings me to the beginning of a whole new avenue for Gwynny. She will be starting preschool on September 1st! I don't know who is more excited me or her! We went up to the school last week and got her registered. She will be going 5 days a week! I know it seems like a lot but with everything that has gone on with Lily it will definitely be good for her to have her own little part of her life that is special! We have an orientation for that next Tuesday night. I also need to go school shopping for her. Man, how time flies!

Well, as I said in the title this is the frosting on the cake with a cherry on top because that is exactly how life felt last week. Hoping for a better week this week and so far I am pleased. If I forgot anything I will try to post again later this week. Till next time...have a great week!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Preschool! Yay! She will LOVE it! Sorry to hear about your uncle. Glad to hear that the birthday party went well...and who doesn't like discounts?! Yay for Lily sitting with minimal support. Emily is about at that point too. Hope everything else is well.

my family said...

Im so sorry to hear about your uncle and glad you dad is on the road to recovery. Preschool is such an exciting time. Glad to see you are back in blog land! :)